Sunday, August 28, 2011

Use Your Head. Use A Helmet.

       When I was young(er), I never wanted to wear my helmet. My parents said that I had to but I didn't think that it was cool. Simple as that, I thought that since no one else was wearing one, if I did, I would look foolish. I felt this way for many years and it was only a few years ago that I began to realize that this ignorance could actually kill me. In retrospect, what is truly foolish is the mindset that I had for so many years.
       Now I strongly believe that wearing a helmet while cycling is one of the most important things one can do. Maybe it was hearing from my father that all the accidents he's seen on the road have involved dead cyclists. Maybe it was when I witnessed it for myself. Or maybe it's the fear of being that cyclist. Whatever it was that clicked, I'm thankful because now I wear a helmet every time I go riding. Regardless of how long or short the distance from point A to point B, I put on my helmet just like I put on my shoes. To me, riding a bicycle with safety gear is very similar to driving a car with a seat belt. It's just safer and you just do it.
       I have seen so many cyclists at night that don't have lights or a helmet. When cyclists don't have front and rear lights, in the dark, they are practically invisible. I just hope that people don't wait until it's too late to figure out what the right thing to do is. If you, your friends, or family members are cyclists, use your head and wear a helmet because one day, it could actually save your life.


- RideaBicycle

No comments: